The CAMECA NanoSIMS 50 is a new generation ion-microprobe which combines high-lateral and spectral resolution together with high sensitivity.
The coaxial lens design allows the primary beam to be focused to sub-50 nm for Cs+ primary ions and sub-150 nm for O- primary ions. The NanoSIMS 50 uses a rastered ion beam to scan across the sample surface. Secondary ions are sputtered from the sample and extracted to a double-focusing magnetic-sector mass spectrometer. Multiple detectors allow the parallel mapping of up to five ion species, simultaneously.
The high-resolution ion-imaging capability is a powerful and unique feature of the NanoSIMS 50, and is highly suitable for elemental or isotopic mapping at the sub-µm scale. This is a particularly powerful technique for mapping the distribution of isotopic tracers (for example. 15N or 13C in biological experiments). Isotopic ratios can be determined with a precision of one per cent in favourable cases.
- Trace element mapping at sub-µm scale: all elements from H to U
- In situ isotope measurements at µm scale
- Depth profiling, 3D imaging
- Cs+ and O- ion sources to <50nm resolution (Cs) and <200nm resolution (O) respectively
- Multicollection: one Faraday cup, five electron multipliers
- Electron gun for charge compensation
- Secondary electron detector
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) magnet control
Biology and biomedical science:
- Mapping metallic ions in cancer cells after treatment with anti-cancer compounds
- Determining isotopic variations within labelled microbial communities
- Locating elements and isotopes within plant and animal tissue
Earth, planetary and environmental science:
- Distribution of metals in ore-bearing minerals and rocks
- Element distributions in rocks and meteorites
- Variations in elemental ratios as climate proxies in marine biominerals
- Carbon and nitrogen mapping in ancient sedimentary structures to determine biogenicity
- Compositional changes with depth through semiconductors and thin films
- Compositional changes around inclusions in metallic alloys and other materials
NanoSIMS sample preparation
Sample preparation is extremely important for getting the best results from your NanoSIMS session.
- (+61 8) 6488 1548