The Keysight Scanning Probe Microscope (SPM) is a multi-functional research system for atomic force microscopy (AFM) and scanning tunnelling microscopy (STM), providing atomic scale resolution 3-dimensional imaging of surfaces.
The instrument is well suited for applications in materials science, life science, polymer science, geology, chemistry, and surface & interface science. The Keysight 5500SPM facilitates 3-dimensional imaging of a sample allowing visualisation and precise measurements of surface features, roughness analysis, film thickness measurements, in situ monitoring of growth or dissolution processes, temperature and environmental control.
The system’s dedicated STM capabilities are designed for STM IV and STM break junction experiments to investigate the electrical conductance of individual molecules.
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) – contact & intermittent contact mode in air and in situ
- Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy (STM) – STM imaging, IV-Spectroscopy
Keysight 5500 scanning probe microscope
- Temperature controlled sample stage (25ºC – 250ºC)
- Environmental cell for experiments in controlled environments (e.g. oxygen-free atmosphere)
- Optical microscope to locate the AFM probe on the sample surface (only for AFM applications)
Atomic force microscopy (AFM)
- Large range multipurpose scanner for ex situ and in situ measurements in contact and intermittent contact mode.
- Scan range: 90µm x 90 µm; z-range: 8µm; noise level (RMS): 0.5Å
Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy (STM)
- Small range scanner for STM imaging and IV-spectroscopy
- Scan range: 1µm x 1µm; z-range: 0.7µm; noise level (RMS): <0.06Å; sensitivity: 0.1nA/V, 1nA/V
An operating manual can be found on the desktop of the computer of the instrument.
Instrument calibrations are carried out by CMCA staff.
Consumables like AFM probes can be purchased from CMCA or self-supplied. Requirements for self-supplied AFM probes will be discussed during instrument training sessions.
- UWA, CMCA Bayliss (level 3, laboratory 3.14)
- Contact person:
- Dr Hua Li