The Titan G2 80-200 TEM/STEM with ChemiSTEM Technology* was installed in May 2014 and is the first instrument of its kind in Australia.
Capable of imaging at atomic resolution in both conventional and scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) modes, the microscope is optimised for high-performance microanalysis by energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) and electron energy-loss spectroscopy (EELS). The Titan is equipped with a CCD camera and a set of STEM detectors for brightfield, darkfield and high angle annular dark field STEM imaging. Three-dimensional imaging is also possible using FEI's Xplore3D tomography package for automated acquisition, reconstruction and visualisation of tomographic data.
*ChemiSTEM Technology consists of the FEI proprietary X-FEG high brightness Schottky field emission source, the patented Super-X 4-SDD, windowless EDX detector system, and fast mapping electronics capable of 100,000 spectra/second in EDX spectrum imaging.
This facility was funded through the Australian Research Council (LIEF grant LE130100030), with support from UWA, Curtin, Murdoch, ECU and CSIRO.
- Brightfield and darkfield imaging
- Electron diffraction (selected area, microbeam and convergent beam)
- High resolution TEM
- Scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), including brightfield (BF), darkfield (DF) and high angle annular dark field (HAADF) modes
- Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) – point mode and mapping
- Electron energy-loss spectroscopy (EELS) – point mode and mapping
- Electron tomography using both conventional imaging and STEM imaging modes
- 80-200 kV high brightness XFEG source
- 0.24 nm point resolution
- 0.11 nm information limit
- 0.16 nm STEM resolution
- Gatan Ultrascan 2k x 2k CCD camera
- Super-X EDX system (4 SDD detectors)
- Gatan Enfinium ER EELS spectrometer
- BF, DF2, DF4 and HAADF STEM detectors
- Xplore3D tomography package
- FEI standard single tilt specimen holder
- FEI high visibility double tilt specimen holder
- Fischione single axis tomography specimen holder