The CAMECA IMS 1280 is a versatile member of the latest generation of double focusing, magnetic-sector SIMS instruments.
The IMS 1280 combines high transmission, high abundance sensitivity and high primary current density to provide unparalleled capability for in situ stable isotope ratio analyses. Five multicollectors allow simultaneous collection of isotopes for elements from Li to U.
Magnetic peak switching allows analyses such as H isotopes, rare earth elements and Ti-thermometry. Combinations of Faraday Cups and electron multipliers can be tailored to meet the needs of individual analyses.
Primarily employed as a geochemistry tool, the IMS 1280 can be used in diverse applications in the materials, environmental, biological and forensic sciences.
- In situ stable isotope analysis in line with specified capabilities
- Automated particle analysis
- Depth profiling
- Up to 10 keV secondary acceleration
- Dual primary ion source capable of delivering Cs+, O2+, O-, and O2-
- O2 flood to enhance the secondary signal of positive ions
- Six sample storage
- Normal incidence electron gun for charge compensation
- Secondary electron imaging
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) magnet control
- Axial detection: one electron multiplier (EM), two Faraday Cups (FC)
- Multicollection: customisable with up to four FCs or five EMs
- High-performance counting electronics
- Oxygen isotope analyses in minerals to provide information concerning provenance or formation environment.
- Sulphur isotope analyses of sulphide minerals to provide information about age or biological activity.
- Carbon isotope analyses to provide clues to the nature of early life on Earth.
- Depth profiling of semiconductors to reveal trace element distributions.